spacer spacer
OSAIC / About Owen Sound Area / History / History Links   Member LogIn   
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
spacer spacer
spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer
Links to Owen Sound History
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer spacer
spacer spacer
spacer spacer
FolderHistoric Links
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Billy Bishop
The boyhood home of First and Second World War flying ace William Avery Bishop - VC, CB, DSO, is a well-preserved example of the Queen Anne Revival style. The house has an eclectic mix of architectural styles, featuring asymmetrical proportions, a variety of window shapes and decorative millwork inside.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Black History
In the early days of Owen Sound, everyone knew Mary Taylor. Her short, round form and smiling, good-humoured countenance made her a popular figure throughout the town.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - C.P.R. Grain Elevators
The port of Owen Sound as it appeared near the peak of its economic vitality, C. 1890.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - CFOS Radio
The Owen Sound Sun-Times newspaper (Howard Fleming & family) opened CFOS on March 1, 1940, on 1370 kHz with 100 watts of power. Studios are at 2nd Avenue and 9th Street. The "OS" in the calls: Owen Sound.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - CNR Owen Sound Subdivision
The Owen Sound Subdivsion from Palmerston to Whites Junction has as its origin the Wellington, Grey & Bruce Railway (WG&BR), which opened from Palmerston to Southampton through what would become Whites Junction on December 7, 1872.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Edwards and Company
Seventy-four years ago, on July 31st, 1929, Edwards and Company of Canada was incorporated. Robert Strafford Edwards Jr., the President of Edwards in the U.S., was realizing one of his early ambitions to establish an Edwards Company in Canada.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Highland Manor Grand Victorian
From log cabins to replicas of American styles, to the Greek and Roman revivals of the early 1800's, Canadians had been content to accept borrowed styles, but gradually drifted from these standard classical forms of architecture as the colony would soon begin to reject direct British rule.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Hwy 10
This long highway passes through the heart of Southern Ontario, connecting Port Credit (Mississauga) to Owen Sound. The government's adopted Provincial Highway System of 1920 recommended the assumption of the Brampton-Owen Sound Road (via Orangeville, Shelburne, and Chatsworth) as a Provincial Highway.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Hwy 6
This long highway extends from Hwy 24 near Port Dover to Hwy 17 near Espanola. In 1920, the government adopted a proposal for a Provincial Highway System. The proposal recommended the assumption of the Hamilton-Owen Sound Road (via Guelph, Fergus, and Mount Forest) as a Provincial Highway.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website
 - Keppel Henge
The idea for this project began early in 1998 when two friends, Steve Irvine and Bill Loney were trying to think of some way to mark the year 2000. Gradually, we (Steve and Bill) developed the idea of a large stone circle, or henge.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website
 - Marine Rail
The Owen Sound harbour was a bustling waterfront at the turn of the twentieth century and served as the "Gateway to the West". From 1885 to 1911, Owen Sound prospered as the busiest port on the Upper Great Lakes, moving immigrants west to the prairies and bringing prairie grain east.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - North American Bent Chair Co
Established in 1892 by John and Archibald Hay of Woodstock, "the largest chair factory under the British Flag" was located right here in Owen Sound. The company's name was derived from the method in which the chair itself was constructed: its back legs were made of one piece of wood bent around the chair's backrest. Steam was used to make ...click details for more
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website
 - Owen Sound Fire Department
The year was 1850. In a small village called Sydenham, the Village Council approved a budget that included the purchase of firefighting equipment. The Council also appointed 30 men to serve on a volunteer fire brigade. This method of fire fighting was often referred to as a "bucket brigade" (meaning buckets of water were passed down a lin ...click details for more
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Owen Sound Harbour
This view shows Owen Sound's outer harbour at some point between 1885-1897.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website
 - Owen Sound Little Theatre
With a small group of community citizens interested in developing and nurturing performance arts in Owen sound, the Owen Sound Little Theatre was formed and the first play My Three Angels was produced in May of 1961 and performed in the auditorium of the Owen Sound Collegiate and Vocational Institute.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Owen Sound Transportation Company
In 1921 a group of Owen Sound residents, headed by the late Captain Norman McKay, organized the Owen Sound Transportation Company, Limited. The company was incorporated March 10, 1921 by letters of patent granted by the Province of Ontario.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - St. George's Church
There is a church record of the pew number of the Pearson family in the original St. George's Church when it was a log building located on Boyd Street.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Steamer Kincardine
From the "Wiarton Echo" 1887-04-29, "The steam barge KINCARDINE has been bought by P.C. and J.J. Pearson, and will be used with the schooner PHOEBE CATHERINE in the Georgian Bay lumber trade."
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Visit Website No Email
 - Tom Thomson
The story begins when the gallery was just a four pegboard covered walls in an area not even 30 feet x 30 feet. In January 1959, the Grey County Historical & Art Society purchased the basement structure, the Church of the Nazarene.
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
Privacy Policy Terms & Conditions Disclaimer Subscribe To Page
spacer
spacer
spacer
spacer spacer
 Accessiblity Options Site Map Font:   [S]   [M]   [L] Color:   [Normal]   [Plain]
spacer
spacer